Thursday, July 19, 2012

shorts!!!

I recently received two sweet messages, one from a girl whom I highly value her opinion and respect her as fellow designer and another from an anonymous reader! I was so flattered two sweet messages in one week! Both of which encouraged me to continue making posts. So I will!

As far as fashion being on my mind lately, well frankly it hasn't at least in the sense of what's going on the high fashion/ conceptual world. Mostly it's been still about job seeking, but anywho I digress.

The only thing lately as far as my fashion sense goes is these shorts, I posted them a couple of posts ago and frankly I have been wearing maybe too often. They are the sweater kind and seriously the shortest shorts I have ever worn but thankfully my booty has yet to fall out of them anddd they make me look like I have much longer legs. Although in the picture below it doesn't appear so. (Our model Melissa is about 6'1"ish in those heels)

Before a show featuring work by Yulie and me as a collaboration collection with one of our models. 



In south carolina. 


My roomie and I before a night on the town, we got our crazy eyes ready for Boystown.

I think its time for another pair and with summer sales going on I might just have to invest in some or repurpose some pants ;).  Although the ones pictured above by Sparkle and Fade from Urban Outfitters were on super sale we'll see if I can find some equally as awesome!

My Own Requirements:

Unique and somewhat interesting in pattern as most of my tops are basic, aka: one color and simple cut.

Reasonably priced.

The right length for my height 5' 4". Often times shorts are too long when they are supposed to be that "boyfriend short" and I am swimming in them and they look more like someone elses shorts, or  in other cases too short for me that "hey here are my booty cheeks, please take a look at them," kind of look and I am not currently looking for either. I am not dissing either its just that I prefer neither.


Here are some shorts I like and recommend:

Highwaisted

I recently came across this website for shopping for designer clothes at a good price but only in their sales section.


Currently on this website I really like these shorts, similarly tribal to my current ones.






Great Buy









My own humble opinion on getting shorts: 

You get what you pay for. If you just want shorts for the current summer than yeah pay twenty buck for dem bad boys you're going to wear out. But if you want to break those bad boys out next summer spend a little more dough to get more wear out of them. Either A you pay twenty bucks this summer for a pair of shorts that fall apart and pay an additional twenty bucks next summer that again fall apart or B invest in forty to fifty dollar shorts that will last you three more summers. :) Either way it depends on whether you want to have a different pair of shorts each summer, and the challenge of having to look for new ones each summer. It just depends on your point of view.

I am petite but no celebrity. But here are some examples of petite types and types of shorts I recommend in my humble opinion. I think that all would apply to non petite types as well :) (in my humble opinion of course) 

Celebrity Examples 

Petite/Curvy: Salma Hayek, Kourtney Kardashian
you have curves and are short = you want to balance out proportions and elongate at the same time so I recommend high waisted shorts with subtle print on the shorts, wider at the hemline than the waistline. The hight waist will elongate your legs and the print will balance your curves and the wider pant legs will give you more room for thighs and all of this flattering your curves not hiding them! 



Petite/Boyish: Rachel Bilson, Kate Bosworth
you have no curves and are short: depending on whether you want to embrace your boyish-ness or give it some contrast I have two ways to go with this

embrace:
wear denim boyfriend shorts but on the shorter side again to lengthen the appearance of your legs 

both: 
wearing the denim jeans to both embrace and contrast use a leather belt to cinch in the waist to give the appearance of curves 

contrast:
highwaisted shorts with fuller pant leg to create the illusion of curves 








Petite/Full Figured: Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Simpson (although both their weight fluctuates both equally beautiful in all forms!!) 

You have curves everywhere : I find that tailored shorts are always flattering, and of thicker fabric aka: thicker cotton, denim, etc. They don't have to be tailored down to the hemline just maybe in the waistband or having a yolk to of some kind to give some dimensionality. Patterns and prints are a good way to not block you off into sections, but not too large of prints and not too small. Again higher waisted to give the illusion of longer legs :) 






HOPE THAT WAS HELPFUL AND GET CHO SHORTS ON!!! 












1 comment:

  1. soo cute. Ive been eyeing your shorts in all of the pictures youve posted! Its really hard to find a GOOD pair of shorts. A lot of the time theyre all awkward.

    ReplyDelete